Inspired by our upcoming return trip to Moscow, I chose "travel" as the focal point of January’s Blogtipping post. While it’s certainly exciting, travel can also sometimes be quite stressful. But here are just a handful of great travel blogs that can help get you organized, ease some of your worries, and help prep for your next big trip:
Jauntly is a very new blog by Ilana Smith that’s dedicated to frugal, practical travel. I’m keeping my eye on this blog because:
- Unlike some blogs that assume travel means cargo shorts & hiking boots, Jauntly has an "everyman" perspective — y’know, travel for the rest of us.
- Very practical packing tips!
- Clean site design!
- Tip: It’s a new blog, so it just needs more posts.
TravelGearBlog from the BootsnAll Travel Network staff covers the world of travel gear & gadgets. It’s worth a look because:
- Previews & reviews of loads of products for travellers.
- "How to" articles to make the most of your gadgets on the go.
- I really like those Weekly Gear Guides!
- Tip: There’s lots of info on the gear, but not much yet on what to carry your stuff in — I’d like to see more bags & luggage reviewed.
Travelhacker is another fairly new resource for all types of globetrotters, from business travelers to vacation travelers on a shoestring budget that offers tips on bookings, vacation spots, and perks. There’s lots to like about this blog:
- Tons of useful& very practical tips for travelers.
- Posts include a wide variety of tourism & travel topics.
- Frequent posts means there’s always fresh and interesting stuff to read on this blog!
- Tip: The content is great, but could also benefit from a few photos here & there.
As a bonus, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the Travel category of Michael Davis’ excellent FamilyHack blog. Michael & gang offer some great practical and (especially for us) very timely advice on traveling with kids.
Also be sure to check out Doug Dyment’s OneBag (formerly "The Compleat Carryon Traveller"). While this is more of a reference site rather than a blog, there’s a wealth of travel packing insights to be found there. Even if you can’t quite commit to Doug’s philosophy to only ever travel with a single carry-on bag, you’re sure to find tons of useful information that you can use when preparing for your next excursion.
Now it’s your turn! Have a favorite travel-related blog site you’d like to share? Post a comment and let us in on it!