Keeping the ball rolling on my coverage of National Peanut Month, I thought it might be fun to toss out a few unexpected or downright wacky uses for peanut butter that I’ve come across recently.
If you thought slathering an apple wedge or celery stick with peanut butter for an afternoon snack was living on the edge, well, just hold on for some really far-out ideas:
- Let a tablespoon of peanut butter slowly dissolve in your mouth to cure hiccups!
- Having trouble getting your pet to take some medication? Most cats & dogs love the taste of peanut butter, so hide the pill in peanut butter and you should have no trouble getting them to swallow it!
- Remove stubborn wax stains on your car’s rubber or non-painted plastic surfaces by applying a little creamy peanut butter to the stain with a soft toothbrush. Peanut butter’s oils dissolve the wax and it’s just sticky & abrasive enough to lift the stain.
- Likewise, gently rub peanut butter in a circular motion on road tar or tree sap that’s gotten on your car then wash with sudsy water to rinse off any residue.
- Create a cheap & simple outdoor bird feeder by spreading peanut butter into the nooks & crannies of a pine cone, then coating with birdseed.
- To get chewing gum out of hair, clothing, or carpet, scrape up what you can, rub with an ice cube to stiffen, then rub a small glob of creamy peanut butter into the gum and wipe up the whole mess with a clean cloth.
- Make Chocolate & Peanut Butter Playdough for your kids to play with!
- You can even shave with creamy peanut butter! Reportedly, former senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona once did this while on a camping trip.