Lately, our West Texas weather has been unseasonably mild and we’ve had much more rain in the past several weeks than we normally get all Summer. These cool & overcast days have made it feel like Fall is arriving early and there’s just something about that which makes you feel like firing up the oven. Plus, as new parents, we’re trying to cook more at home anyway…
So this month’s Blogtipping is focused on cooking & recipe sites.
Now, these sites don’t have recipes for, as The Curmudgeon would put it: "Teeny, tiny portions of pigeon meat, set atop a brillo pad and covered by a contrasting caramelized ooze, resting next to a little dollop of white turnips or a slice of some vegetable you’ve never heard of." No, these blogs offer easy-to-make dishes that real people would enjoy containing common ingredients you’ll be able to readily track down — or may even already have on-hand.
As you may recall, "Blogtipping" is an chance for us to share 3 things we like — and offer a tip or constructive comment — about 3 blogs each month. So here are our picks for September:
Kalyn’s Kitchen by Kalyn Denny is a great blog that combines a love for cooking with a commitment to healthy, lower-glycemic food that fits within the South Beach plan. It’s definitely worth a look because of:
- The site is a great resource for all sorts of low-carbohydrate info & practical tips to help keep on track with that style of dietary goal.
- Lots of great low-carb recipes that are anything but lacking in flavor or variety.
- Simple & clean site layout makes it easy to navigate around.
- Tip: There’s so much content on the main page, it can be a little overwhelming, but it’s well worth taking the time to explore the sidebars.
The Pioneer Woman Cooks is just one section of an impressive & diverse website by Ree, a.k.a. Pioneer Woman, a transplanted Californian in dusty Oklahoma. Why do you need to check out her site?
- Step-by-step instructions with detailed photos makes even more involved dishes easy.
- The very active community of readers means there’s always other ideas & tips related to Ree’s articles.
- The recipes offered are tried & true, using mostly common, simple ingredients.
- Tip: There’s so much going right on this site, I can’t think of a single thing to add!
The Peanut Butter Blog is a fun, fairly new blog dedicated to peanut butter!
- Loads of great, easy recipes!
- Links to all sorts of fun & funky peanut & peanut butter -related food & accessories.
- You can subscribe via RSS feed to stay up on the latest stuff.
- Tip: Y’know I’m a big fan of peanut butter anyway, so I’m just eager to see even more posts!
Do you have a favorite food-related blog or website? Post a comment and share it with us!